Nick Kyrgios has revealed that he tested positive for cocaine and has been provisionally suspended from tennis.The Australian, who reached the Wimbledon final in 2022 before losing to Novak Djokovic, shared details of the case on social media.
Kyrgios accepts responsibility
The 31-year-old said the positive test came from a lower-level tournament in Mallorca in June. “I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine,” he wrote on his Instagram wall, citing a lower level tournament in June. “I made a huge mistake and take full responsibility for it.”Cocaine is banned as a doping substance during competitions, although penalties can be lower if it is used outside competition.
Nick Kyrgios’s statement on Instagram
Kyrgios also spoke about the mental and emotional struggles he has faced as injuries have affected the later part of his career. He has fallen to 919th in the world rankings after two years of injury problems.“At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did,” he said.
Case moves forward
Kyrgios returned to Wimbledon last month after receiving a wild card to play doubles alongside Alexander Bublik, but the pair lost in the first round.The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) said Kyrgios provided the sample on June 22, and the positive result was confirmed on July 17, after he had already competed at Wimbledon.The ITIA said a mandatory provisional suspension was imposed on August 4. Kyrgios has not appealed the suspension, and the agency will now handle the case.
✍️ Vikrant Kharwar
Vikrant Kharwar is the Founder and Editor of News Us Media. He writes about trending news, sports, entertainment, technology, and viral stories. His goal is to make news simple, informative, and easy to understand for readers across the United States and around the world.